Need Help? Call for Live Help at 1-877-LUV-BAJA

Vehicle Permits for Mexico Travel
Driving in Baja, Sonora, and Border Zones - NO vehicle permit required.
Puerto Penasco - "Rocky Point" - NO vehicle permit required.
Border Zones - approximately 25 kilometers from the border. NO vehicle permit required.
Baja Peninsula: NO vehicle permit required.

If you plan to drive through the Baja region and use a ferry to take your vehicle to mainland Mexico, you should get the vehicle permit when entering Mexico.

Sonora Only Program: The Mexican state of Sonora has a program called "Sonora Only". This permit requires minimal documents, less documents than the regular mainland Mexico Vehicle Import Permit.

The Sonora Only permit is valid for up to six months. The vehicle permits are available at the check point at Kilometer 21, just south of Nogales on Highway 15. Call 1-800-4-SONORA if you are entering from another border crossing. Permits must be returned at this same location with the 180 day period.

Documents needed for permit:
  1. Valid drivers license
  2. Proof of vehicle ownership, which can include the following:
    • Vehicle Registration.
    • Original title Lease contract (for leased vehicles).

Leased or financed Vehicles must provide a "Letter of Authorization" from the bank or leasing company. The bank or leasing company should be notified well in advance as they will normally require proof of comprehensive and collision coverage from your Mexican Auto Insurance policy. will email proof to your finance or leasing company.

Driving to Mainland Mexico - If you are driving outside of the Baja, the Border Zone, or outside of Sonora, you need a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit. These are also available at the border or online from the website at Mexican Banjercito.

Apply Online for a Mexico Vehicle Permit here

You will apply for the vehicle permit online, and pay for the permit at the border. Information and document requirements are on the Banjercito website.

To obtain a Vehicle Permit:
Go to the office that says "Modulo de Control Vehicular" The owner must be with the vehicle at the border crossing.
Have the original and two copies of the following:
  1. Proof of citizenship, either Passport, Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, Voter's Registration
  2. Vehicle Registration Certificate or the Vehicle Title - must match the drivers name.
  3. Lease contract if the vehicle is leased
  4. Rental contract if the vehicle is rented
  5. Financed vehicles need a notorized letter of permission from the bank or finance company.

You will also need your
  1. Tourist Card of Visa
  2. Mexican Auto Insurance Policy
  1. $29.80 at the border
  2. $39.60 from Banjercito offices in the United States.
  3. $49.50 from the Banjercito website

Deposit Requirements:
Credit Cards: If you have a credit card (VISA, Mastercard, AMEX, Diners Club), in the same name as the registered vehicle's name, you will be charged a non-refundable fee of $16.50 . This will be done at the Banjercito.

NO Credit Card:
You are required to make a cash deposit if you do not have a credit card.
  1. 2000 and newer models are $400.00.
  2. 1995-1990 models are $300.00
  3. Model years prior to 1995 are $200.00

Temporary Vehicle Import Permits are good for up to six months. This allows you to enter and exit Mexico for six months. After the permit is expired, a new permit is needed, as vehicles with expired permits are subject to having the vehicle confiscated by Mexican authorities.

Banjercito Office Hours

Arizona Border - Sonora
Aqua Prieta: 24 hours / 7 days a week
Cananea: 8am-6pm Monday - Friday
Nogales: 24 hours / 7 days a week
Naco - Anexo: 8am-12am - open 7 days a week
Sonoyta / San Emeterio: 8am-12am - 7 days a week
San Luis Rio Colorado: 8am-12am - 7 days a week

California Border - Baja California Norte
Mexicali: 24 hours / 7 days a week
Mexicali Annex: 8am-4pm Monday - Friday; 10am - 2pm Saturday; Sundays closed
Otay Mesa: 8am-12am- 7 days a week
Tijuana: 8am-12am - 7 days a week

Baja California Sur
La Paz: 9am-2pm - 7 days a week